When the temperature drops, firewood sellers appear on Hwy 280 | News
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC)- With the temperatures dropping a lot of people are hoping to stay warm. Pickup trucks loaded with firewood are lining up along Highway 280.
"I'm hoping to see a little white stuff on the ground. If does it does. Maybe somebody will stop by here and get some firewood. Stay good and warm anyway," Billy Walters said.
Walters has been selling firewood along Highway 280 for about five years. Those who sell at this location must get a business license from Mountain Brook and permission of nearby homeowners. The cost of the firewood depends on the amount you want to buy. Walters says a drop in temperature is not a guarantee they will be flooded with business.
"It's just a hit or miss situation. There are good days, there are bad days. Some days we sell a lot down here and there are some days you don't sale nothing down here," Walters said.
Walters is joined by his eight-year-old grandson, Nathan Connell. Nathan is hoping for a lot of sales Tuesday.
Copyright 2012 WBRC. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Jubilee Joe's owner arrested on drug trafficking, money laundering charges
- Sister of woman killed after Iron Bowl party shooting speaks out
- Woman charged with murder in Hoover Iron Bowl party shooting
- Victim identified in Hoover Iron Bowl party shooting
- Hoover Police release more details in Saturday night's Ironbowl party shooting