Long car tag lines continue despite additional workers | News
JEFFERSON COUNTY, AL (WBRC)- Long lines and frustrations for car tag renewals continue even though Jefferson County has added additional personnel.
County manager Tony Petelos says the biggest slow down comes when people don't have proof of insurance. A new state law that went into effect Jan. 1 states that when a citizen wants to register or renew a car tag, they must provide proof of insurance.
"So when they come down here to get their tag renewals if they don't have insurance, there is a discussion, there is, 'What do I need to do.' It slows the process down," Petelos said.
Commission President David Carrington opposes hiring more workers given the county is in bankruptcy and its financial condition. Carrington hopes to see the county's computer system to ease some of the long waits.
For more information about the state's mandatory proof of insurance, visit http://www.revenue.alabama.gov/motorvehicle/mvforms/MLIBrochure.pdf.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Jubilee Joe's owner arrested on drug trafficking, money laundering charges
- Sister of woman killed after Iron Bowl party shooting speaks out
- Woman charged with murder in Hoover Iron Bowl party shooting
- Victim identified in Hoover Iron Bowl party shooting
- Hoover Police release more details in Saturday night's Ironbowl party shooting